The Island
Training and Development
Consultancy
Staying on Bardsey
news
shop
contactcymraeg
Ynys Enlli - Bardsey Island
 

 

Join the Trust
Help to secure the
long-term future of the island.

more information

.....................................................

 

Trust Members’ Section

log in here

.....................................................

 

Staying on Bardsey
All you need to know about weekly stays and day trips.

more information

.....................................................

 

Adfer Enlli
Our appeal to repair and maintain the historic buildings of the island

more information

.....................................................

 

 

 
 
 

 

The Abbey Tower
The tower - the oldest standing building on the island - is part of the remains of the thirteenth century Augustinian Abbey of St. Mary’s. The exact extent of the buildings associated with the Abbey is unknown, but it is likely that the site supported a sizeable community of monks.

The Chapel
Situated in the shelter of the mountain at the north end of the island, not far from the Abbey, the chapel was built in the 1870s at the time that the farmhouses were renovated. It is said that the inhabitants chose to have a chapel rather than a new harbour when they were invited to note their preference by the landowner, Lord Newborough.

The Limekiln
The Limekiln - now disused - is a squat stone building standing at the side of the track leading from the main track to Ty Pellaf and Dyno Goch, where there was also a small lime quarry. It would have had heavy use during the rebuilding of the houses in the 1870s and afterwards. Like many of the buildings on Bardsey, it was restored by architect Douglas Hague to its present state of preservation in 1986.

The School
The school building, which was once the island chapel, standing above the track near Cristin, was built in the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century. It was regularly used as a school until the last employed teacher left in 1953, and is now used as a meeting place.

Y Storws
Often referred to as the Boathouse, the Storws is probably the first building - apart from the Lighthouse - that you see as you land at Y Cafn. A long, low stone building with its spectacular lichen-covered roof, it was built at the end of the eighteenth century or the beginning of the nineteenth. The sheltered bench stretching the length of the building is a favourite place to sit and watch the comings and goings.

Pictures of Bardsey Island click here

 

The Island : History : Archaeology : Natural History : Agriculture : Spirituality : Enlli and the Arts : Further Reading : Landmarks : Map

 

 

The Lighthouse
Standing on Pen Diban at the southerly end of the island, it is the only square lighthouse maintained by Trinity House. It is 30m (99ft) in height and was completed in 1821.
The lighthouse has been automatic since 1987.

 

 

 

Designed & Hosted by WiSS

Bardsey Office, PO BOX 79, Pwllheli, Gwynedd, LL53 9AT Telephone: 08458 11 22 33